Dounreay is Scotland’s largest decommissioning project and is widely recognised as Europe’s most complex nuclear closure programme. For more than 50 years it was known as the centre of the UK’s fast reactor research and development and now the team is aiming to be recognised as a centre of excellence for nuclear decommissioning. Dounreay offers an opportunity to be involved in some of the UK’s most leading edge technical projects, developing unique skills and experiences which are highly sought after across the industry.
Be part of it
Your role as senior safety advisor will be to provide safety advice and lead a team of safety advisors whilst ensuring delivery of the industrial health and safety function in accordance with legislation, regulatory, customer and company requirements.
- Provide authoritative advice on industrial health and safety at Dounreay
- Produce and maintain Dounreay procedures and standards in accordance with legislation
- Develop and maintain specific specialism to the Dounreay expert level
- Chair or contribute to investigations
- Analyse safety reports and recommend remedial action
- Mentor and provide development opportunities for safety advisors and trainee safety advisors
- Identify emerging industrial safety issues and provide solutions
- Design and deliver industrial health and safety training
- Perform the responsibilities of management appointments relevant to post
- Interact with regulatory bodies
Desirable aptitudes and experience
- A degree in science/engineering or equivalent qualification plus experience
- Chartered status of Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
- Demonstrable experience of delivering leading edge health and safety advice to support the safe and timely delivery of projects
- Extensive knowledge of health and safety legislation
- Effective communicator, with the ability to influence the behaviour of others
- Ability to liaise with contractors and management at all levels in an appropriately professional manner
- Self-motivated, assertive and willing to challenge
- Experience at other nuclear licence sites
- A team player, who can also work on their own
- Ability to use own initiative, particularly when responding to real time situations.
You will enjoy the unique experience of life in the north of Scotland which has retained its strong community spirit and where you will be recognised as an individual, not just one of the crowd.
The role comes with a salary and bonus arrangements which reflect the responsibilities of the role. In addition the package includes relocation assistance (where appropriate), an attractive company pension scheme and generous annual leave entitlement.
Applications can be downloaded from www.dounreay.com/careers
Salary: £36k – £60k (DOE)
Closing Date: 6 July 2018
Reference Number: 59/18
Applications to: HR Department, Traill House, 7 Olrig Street, Thurso, KW14 7BJ or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information contact: Avril Fell 01847 806161 or email: email@example.com
Pete Thompson 01847 806849 or email firstname.lastname@example.org