Starting Salary: £34k to £58k per annum (DOE)
Closing date for applications: 28 April 2017
Interviews to be held: Week commencing 15 or 22 May 2017
For more than 50 years, as the home of the UK’s fast reactor research and development programme, the name Dounreay has been associated with excellence in all areas of engineering and project management. Now Dounreay is making a name for itself as the centre of excellence for nuclear decommissioning. As the European reference site for nuclear decommissioning, Dounreay offers a unique opportunity to be involved in some of the UK’s most challenging technical projects.
Caithness and north Sutherland are one of Britain’s great outdoor environments with unspoilt scenery and abundance of wildlife. There are famous surf breaks and dive sites, miles of tracks, trails, rivers and deserted sandy beaches for walking, cycling and kayaking and easy access to the Scottish mountains. The well serviced towns of Thurso and Wick are within easy commuting distance. If you are inspired by a challenging career at the forefront of environmental sciences, on a unique site by the sea, coupled with the opportunity to escape the rat race then Dounreay could be for you.
Be part of it:
A vacancy has arisen for an Environmental Specialist to support the Environmental Closure and Demolition programme of work. The Job Holder will be responsible for performing environmental activities and supporting document delivery throughout the project lifecycle.
- Write and review technical reports, documentation and assessments
- Manage, model, interpret and report on environmental data
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to expedite efficient safe project delivery
- Produce technical specifications and assess contractor compliance to these specifications
- Control and resolve technical queries throughout the project
- Monitor internal and contractor performance against safety, costs, programme and quality, identify deviations and recommend remedial actions as appropriate
- Support the project manager in the day-to-day delivery of tasks and problem solving
- Perform the responsibilities of Management Appointments relevant to post
- Mentor more junior members within ECD
- HND Engineering/Scientific or equivalent qualifications plus experience
- 3 years environmental experience at nuclear / industrial sites
- Experience and knowledge of:
- Hydrogeology, radiological performance assessment or contaminated land assessment/remediation
- performing decommissioning processes related to contaminated land and groundwater
- option identification and assessment processes
- producing technical documentation utilising software applications such as GIS and Access databases
- Environmental protection and relevant key environmental legislation
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Awareness of the Environmental Restoration Programme Plan
The package includes relocation assistance (where appropriate), a company pension scheme and generous annual leave entitlement.
Download your application from here
For further information, contact: Doug King on 07714 923485 or email
Applications to: HR Department, Traill House, 7 Olrig Street, Thurso, KW14 7BJ
Reference number: 110/16